Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Burning All the Candles on All the Ends

I'm kind of doing too much over the next 9 weeks. Besides rehearsing the two current bands and taking drum lessons, I'm also taking a bass class and a class on recording. And I'm driving to Texas.

It is good for me to be busy. I get weird when I'm not. But I may have over-extended for the next two months.

Last night was the first recording class. It is taught in the "home" studio of a fellow in Cottage Grove. The studio is in his home...but it isn't a HOME studio. It is a full on professional studio. Last night he gave us 2.5 hours of gems (supposed to only be a two hour class). Amongst them that once a drummer is able to play to a click track, they don't need one anymore...confidence is believing your own bullshit...that lots of bands break up after their first recording because you learn things about the other people that you didn't want to know....and that the good bands are often just a hair trigger away from breaking up at all times because there is passion brewing that can blow up at any moment. I also learned several dozen things about recording and recording equipment even within the fairly informal first session.

It felt like sitting at the foot of Buddha or Yoda...or something like that. He was humble, though, and often said things like "nothing is ever wrong...just out of context." I liked him. But I found the experience mentally and emotionally exhausting. It is a long period of time to absorb information.

No comments:

Post a Comment