Monday, October 18, 2010

Goofing Off In A Good Way

When I sit down to play the drums it tends to be in one of two ways...playing along to songs I know or am learning and trying to copy the drum parts...or doing exercises, rudiments, stuff like that.

I don't goof around much. And that's probably not such a good thing.

After enjoying many of their videos, I finally downloaded OK Go's disk, Of the Blue Colour of the Sky. Last week I sat down and, with the disk on, goofed around on the drum kit. I wasn't trying to copy the drum parts, I was basically just using it as an interesting metronome. I tried some stuff that I have trouble with, and did random things. I tried playing left hand lead...and switching back and forth between left and right hand lead. And other stuff.

While not something I think I need to do everyday, it was a good thing to do. It got me out of my comfort zone and trying new things and being creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment