Friday, January 8, 2010

Visitors

Just a little check in on the blog in general...

I've never written blogs particularly to solicit readers. Mostly my intended audience, for my personal blogs, has been myself and a list of less than 10 friends and family. I was never looking to expand my audience.

A couple of years ago I starting contributing entries about bicycling to a collaborative blog. In that case I WAS interested in having a broad audience. But I was shielded by the collaborative nature of the blog and the fact that the entries weren't really much about me personally.

With this blog, Rhythm Movement, my intention from the start was to recreate a kind of anonymity that I had lost in my other blogging (with disastrous results). I also wanted to focus on one topic, drumming, which had started to take over my other blogs. Further, my intention was partially to reach out to others with my same interest. Tentatively, for sure, because the internet seems prone to flaming. And I hate that. I certainly didn't anyone telling me that my playing and/or my opinions sucked...but I did have a small glimmer of making connections with other drummers.

And this is the kind of blog that no one but a drummer or musician would want to read. It isn't interesting unless you have a passion for playing and for learning about someone else's experience navigating learning an instrument.

I gave out the url to a handful of drumming or music friends, but pretty univerally Site Meter tells me that they don't visit. I suspect the topic bored the hell out of them if they checked it out even once.

So, aside from myself...who is the audience becoming?

It seems that most people are coming from Google searches on specific drumming topics. PASIC brought alot of people in. I can't find any regular readers yet. People find the blog because they are looking for something else. They come...they leave...they don't come back. So far anyway.

This doesn't entirely bother me. I'm writing mostly for my own reference. But I think it will be interesting to see if a regular readership develops at some point. I've made no effort to promote, so it will be slow to develop if at all.

I've not made any particular effort to make the entries interesting to anyone but me either. I ramble a bit and give reflections on my own playing and practice. I don't know if this would interest other people or not. I think it would interest me if I was reading someone else's. And the drummer profiles aren't anything new under the sun (already covered in other places)...it's just a way for me to catalog my studies. Since reading Drummerworld start to end isn't an option for me...I note who I've looked into as it happens.

We'll see how things progress. I seem to still be pretty low profile and that's okay with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment