Monday, November 1, 2010

Upgrading: Cymbals

Picked up two new cymbals off of Craig's List this weekend:

1. Sabian AA 17" Medium Crash, $65 ($189 new). It actually sounds a lot like my existing Colorsound, just a little deeper and with longer sustain. It fits in with the kit well, though I don't know if it was "needed." It allows me to have a crash on each side now if I want. Just seemed like a great deal. I can't pass up a decent cymbal for 60 bucks.

2. Sabian HH Duo 10" Splash, $60 ($139 new). I had thought about buying one of these when I was looking for a new splash (was looking at 12" at the time). I liked this model a lot, but couldn't bring myself to spend the money at the time. So I picked it up cause it was such a great deal. I don't really need a splash, but the 10" I have now is cracked, so it's sitting in reserve. Just couldn't pass it up.

Both in great condition. Passed on a 12" Cherry Mapex Black Panther snare for $100. Decided I shouldn't jump at it since it was a weird size, even if it was a great deal. Also, didn't want to spend the $100 after buying the cymbals. I need to pace myself.

Also, I'm learning more about how to play the Sabian AA El Sabor Ride that I picked up a few months ago. It has a very "tinny" sound that I've had trouble adjusting to. I REALLY love the bell. The bell is awesome. I think I'm figuring out that when I ride it, I need to play more on the shoulder, instead of the edge where I am used to. I like the sound better there. I'm not sure this cymbal is going to stay in the main mix. Again, it was a $60 deal ($245 new) that I couldn't pass up and I thought that I like the El Sabor line...but it doesn't fit well into the kit. Sounds discordant and, like I said "tinny". I'm going to keep my eye out for a Zildjian K series ride (any model). These are pricey (about $325 new for the basic 20" model) and you don't see them used too often. In the very least I want to play them at some stores. I know that will have a deeper, fuller tone. No tin there. I'll have to see if it goes too far the other way.

I am curious a bit about Zildjian A Ping Rides. I hear Ping Rides mentioned often in articles. I should play one and see what they sound like. A 20" is $265 new. The New Beat Hi Hats made me want to go with a full Zildjian A setup...but I kinda blew that by buying some Sabians. I have a feeling that, rather than upgrading my cymbals once, buying used cymbals on the cheap is going to become an ongoing hobby of mine. It's just really hard not to want to jump on a $50-60 quality cymbal...and it is so hard to know how something will sound with your kit until you get it home and try it. Luckily, there's always a resale market for quality...so if it gets out of control I can liquidate some. I probably should get a cymbal vault to store the extras in (or just set up a decent box to keep them in).

No comments:

Post a Comment