Thursday, July 15, 2010

Professional Musician: Part 2

I just can't make the two ends meet:

End #1: Rock cover bands playing predictable hits of the 50s/60s/70s/80s/90s who want a drummer who is so good they could have played with the original bands.

End #2: "Artists" who say that say that rock cover bands playing predictable hits of the 50s/60s/70s/80s/90s are lame and evil.

I'd LOVE to be a drummer in a rock cover band playing predictable hits of the 50s/60s/70s/80s/90s if that band got to play out like weekly and make decent cash (for me, more than $50 per member per show). I've attempted to audition for several such bands that didn't even have a current gig...like they never played out before. And I've been universally rejected either before I ever even got to audition...or in one case only...after the audition. I don't suck at drums...but I don't have a huge rock sound either...or know every classic rock tune in the fake book...or lots of experience in the genre. Basically, I've been rejected out of hand for not having a huge reputation.

So which is it...these kinds of bands demand greatness or these kinds of bands are lame? Guess it depends on who you ask. But it's weird. Catch 22.

Of course...both sides are deluded and ego-maniacs. People who really have their careers together...either in a cover band or original...don't sit around posting ads on Craigslist. They focus on their own work and don't really worry about what everyone else is doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment