Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Tracking Kits I've Borrowed

On Sunday I'm borrowing a kit. It occurred to me that it is a kit I've used before and that I might have some notes on its ups and downs. Unfortunately, I have an entry about the kit, but it doesn't have details. I was REALLY hoping for a diagram like this one of EH's kit. I guess I was too lazy, or forgot, to create such a diagram for Underculture's (N's) kit. Which is really too bad. So close...but not close enough. This reiterates to me the value of documenting this stuff carefully.

As it is, I'll bring my own snare, snare stand, cymbals, throne, and pedal...and I'll also probably bring an extra cymbal stand. I'm getting used to having things a certain way, particularly for New Rose and That's How I Escaped My Certain Fate. Most of the rest of the songs I can adapt to most kits. I remember that I moved things around on N's kit a fair amount. I think I took away one piece even and moved the right side cymbals. I really like a low and forward ride placement, and that's hard to get with a kit that has two bass mounted toms...which is what I think his might have. I also like having a crash on both sides. The thing that makes New Rose and THIEMCF different is that I also use a forward china-like crash as well. That's what I might use the extra cymbal stand for.

Wait a minute! Wait a minute! BRAINSTORM!

YOUTUBE!


Okay...so this refreshes what I thought was true. He has his ride low on a boom stand, but over the floor tom...which is a little far right for my taste. I think this also means that his floor tom is a little low for my taste. He's got two crashes...they are probably a little high for my taste. Ideally, I'd be able to remove that second rack tom and put the ride where it would have been and move the crash to where the ride is. I think that I will bring the extra cymbal stand just in case I decide to set it up for the "china." Best strategy is to set up the snare, throne, and extra crash stand off stage and bring those up and switch them out right away. Then take off the tom and move the ride/crash stands. Then put cymbals on. I'll watch N and see how the toms go on when he sets up to make sure that I take them off correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment