Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Singing Class Week 2

We went through more breathing exercises and vocal warmups and then two of us (me included) presented songs we wanted to work on. I sang "The World's a Mess It's In My Kiss" by X...which has always been a song I thought that I ought to be able to sing but have struggled with to the point of telling the boys we couldn't do it. I sang it a cappella in front of about 10 strangers. Eyes closed as is our way. It came out pretty good, really. I don't feel like the instructor really helped me with it, though. She made some comments about belting a certain word and reminded me to breath from the belly...but no reall constructive criticism or suggestions.

The breathing is the key to it all...and I really struggle with it. I don't know if I'm just not used to the kind of breathing we're doing...or if my considerable girth makes it hard to expand by belly and ribs. I just naturally breath shallowly and into the top of my chest...and I don't really push with my abdominal muscles at all when I sing. But that's what I'm supposed to be doing. It's hard to get the hang of. I probably should practice every day on the floor. One more thing to remember to add to life's obligations.

No comments:

Post a Comment