Monday, November 8, 2010

Upgrading: The Snare

Picked up a used Pacific LX Maple snare last week. It's pretty sweet. It was the right size, wood, color, and price ($100) for what I'd been wanting. No compromises.

Details I didn't notice until further inspection:
-Ten lug (existing two steel snares I own only each have 6)
-Bearing edge seems to be peaked in center. Don't know what you call this, but I've read about it. The steel drums I have come to a peak at the outer edge of drum...this new one comes to peak in center of drum edge.
-Throw off feels sturdy and smooth

I played it Thursday and Friday night at gigs. Saturday I opened her up and inspected the inside, which all seems good. Lubricated the lugs and put on a newish Ambassador Hazy resonant head and Powerstroke 3 batter head. Also put on brand new snare wires that had been hanging around the house and moved the LX's snare wires to the better steel drum.







Essentially at this point I've done all the upgrading that I'd intended to do. Happened more quickly than I'd anticipated. I'm still trying to decide if I like the Sabian AA El Sabor Ride I picked up or if I want to get something different. That's essentially all I've got an eye out for at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment