Friday, December 16, 2011

CJ, Mr. Roberts, 12/15/2011

We played Psychoacoustics 20th birthday party at Mr Roberts. The Forward Marching Band opened and Beefus played last (Beefus...a kind of jokey funk band...is great. I forgot that we've played with them before. The drummer smiles the whole time. It cracks me up). We did 30 minutes live on air and another 45 to the room only. Let me tell you...you should never listen to a recording of yourself singing if you can avoid it...especially if you had a cold when you were singing and were nervous. Performance is best enjoyed in the moment....watching the game tapes will break your heart.

That said, during the show I thought it went ok. We had a kinda rough start. I was nervous and goofed up strange things...like the intro into the second verse of Wave. But nothing so major that I think anyone noticed. Lots of people told me my vocals were awesome...which is really hard to believe listening to the recording. I was too loud in the mix and my voice is really shaky from the cold.

Towards the end of the first set I started to settle down and I wasn't too nervous at all for the second set. More and more I think that I sound terrible singing Into the White and I wish that we wouldn't play it anymore. I just can't hit the low notes. I probably just need to rearrange the part so that I don't have to do that. Maybe I'll watch a hundred versions of her doing it live and see if she ever changes it up. Truly it is a stupid song to begin with and Charles probably would have thrown a guitar at me too cause I would have hated doing it every night for a million city tour. But the boys love it and it gives RS's voice a rest.

I was sober...had a head cold and a bad day at work. Ate McDonald's for dinner and later a salad. Had a little coffee right before we started. Been down in dumps all week but have had plenty of rest as a result. We loaded in at 6:45pm and didn't play until 10pm...but we went over to Monties and the boys ate from 8-9pm and that was good for us I think.

CT is starting to ask about Halloween more and more. Not sure how I feel about it. But I do dig playing with these guys...so I'll probably concede to the greater desire if they'll have me.

Setlist:

Set 1:
Debaser
Holiday
Allison
Wave
Here Comes
Vamos
Gigantic
Manta
Subb
Tame
Where

Set 2:
Caribou
Bone
Break
Monkey
Isla
Something
Planet
Alec
Into White
Cactus
Is She W
Head On
Ed
Nimrod
River E
Hey
Gouge

file pending upload https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/dsward2/web/tunes/CrackityJones/wort_111215_200001psycho

No comments:

Post a Comment