Monday, August 27, 2012

Ska Progress

So just checking in here because I think I tend to underplay the importance of accomplishments like this.

Tonight is the first ska rehearsal. I have no idea how it will go or where it will lead.

BUT prior to that first rehearsal I want to reflect on where I've been and how far I've come in a very short time period.

Late April: I get asked to play bass in an originals band
May-ish: Start playing and writing parts in that band
Early July: I have my first bass lesson, starting sort of on a whim. Start thinking about scales and playing in boxes.
Mid July: I get asked to play bass in a ska band
July/August-ish: Uncover or write ska bass lines for about 7 or 8 songs
August 18th: Sit down and try to play ska bass lines for 3 of those songs and feel like there's no way that I will ever be able to play that fast.
August 24th: totally have the parts in hand up to tempo
August 27th: First ska rehearsal

So let's say...that in about a months time I have become a ska bass player...with about a 3 month prep time of things falling into place to maybe make that possible. More than anything, I am amazed with my progress over the last week. It feels like many, many years of progress condensed into a week. I worked hard, yes, but I didn't work as hard as I could have. So that's pretty cool.

I am, of course, mildly terrified. The next song to learn! How long will I have to learn it?!? Will I be able to figure out the line?!? Hey gang, let's transcribe to another key for shits and giggles cause we're all pro musicians who can turn on a dime! Aaaaaaahhhhh! The house of cards falls to the ground. I'll just be over here curled up in a fetal position.

I must remind myself that no one else knows I'm faking it. They actually think I can play. Never let them see you sweat.  Just swallow the anxiety...shut your mouth...and go work it out. You can probably master anything in a week's time. Really you can. Too hard for a week? Ok...two weeks. Really. Shut up. Do it.

And then pause to feel good about doing it instead of feeling bad that you haven't mastered the next thing yet.

Ya putz.

UPDATE AFTER 1ST REHEARSAL: All went very well. Felt proud of myself for first time in a long time. And also, learned you can slap a capo on a bass in a pinch. Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment