Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Opinions...Every Has One

Music snobbery seems to know no bounds. I am forever surprised by how matter of factly someone will tell you this or that band sucks...this or that musician...this or that song. I'm the first to admit that I have a pretty high tolerance for...well most things. That is to say...I don't parse things with too fine a comb. Examples...I don't care what guitar pedal you use...or probably what cymbal.

A visual:

The snob's tolerance for "good"
>_<

My tolerance for "good enough"
>__________________________ <
or maybe even
> ______________________________________________________<

And that goes for most things.

I'm not a person of subtleties. I can't see/hear them. I suppose this doesn't make me a very good musician. But as long as it doesn't bother me or those immediately around me I'm not sure it matters.

But man there are people that can tell you exactly what's wrong with Joe Blow's guitar part in measure 37 of a certain tune. How it's out of tune slightly or the effect is off or the timing's wrong or...whatever.

Now, I'm sure there are people out there who have the technical background and skill to REALLY do this. But I get alot of it from people in the general population, which just seems so much less likely that they'd have the ability to get it right. And the people who actually really HAVE that skill are probably off being famous musicians or producers and they probably don't have time to complain about shit they aren't working on.

And so it exhausts me a bit...the snobs.

If I like something and you don't...or vice versa...it doesn't mean you're right and I'm wrong. It's an opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment