Monday, March 28, 2011

Fixing the Amp

Basic trouble shooting with my friends the Electrical Engineer and the Luthier revealed that the amp appears to have a partially blown speaker. I need a 15 inch 8 ohm, probably 200 Watt or 200-300 Watt speaker to replace. In theory I really only need a 120-175W speaker...but we decided some head room (but not too much) would be good to prevent future blown outs if I am going to have it cranked up most of the time. 200W probably perfect...300W probably ok, but nothing more than that.It is an easy repair I can do myself. They thought a speaker would run about $180...but I'm finding them more in the $60-$130 range.

Not really sure how to make a selection amongst the available choices. I know to be on the lookout for weight (want lightest possible...probably around 12-15 pounds). We talked a bit about maybe going with a Neodymium speaker...though I'm not sure it matters.

Candidates:
1. Neodymium P AUDIO_E15-350N, 300W, 17 pounds (if you look at the detailed specs), $92.99
2. Cheapest to date, B-52 15-85 Speaker, 300W, $69.99, 13 lbs. This seems like a no-name speaker...but really cheap and pretty light.
3. From a known retailer, Eminence Legend CB158 15" 300W Bass Speaker , 17 pounds. $119 with free shipping
4. Recommendation from the luthier, Weber 15", 60oz Ceramic magnet, 175 watt. 12 pounds. She likes this brand, but I'd rather up the wattage and this doesn't seem like a great deal or anything.
5. One of the few 200W speakers I've found, Peavey Scorpion SP-15825 8 Ohm, 13 pounds. $92.39. Has kind of a weird case. Also...this is listed as 800W max, 200W continuous. Not really sure how that compares. Most of these are RMS wattages, so I probably need to double check if I need 200 RMS or 200 Max.

God I hate figuring this kinda stuff out. If all else fails I'll probably just go with the one from Musicians Friend and call it a day. A little heavy, but less scary somehow. We live in a McDonald's world.

UPDATE: Here's one that's available locally...Eminence BETA-15A, 15" Woofer, 8 ohm, 300W, $69.99, 9 pounds

Eminence seems to have a number of models that are popping up. Their website lists 3 models specific to bass in 15 inch, but only one of the three is 8 ohm: LEGEND CB158. This is the one that Musician's Friend has for sale. The specs for the 15A that is for sale cheap locally are here. The one listed specifically for bass is twice as heavy and has some different specs. It might not be a terrible idea for me to just go with a bass specific speaker...since I don't know much about this stuff. The cheap ones are probably cheap for a reason.

P-audio doesn't list which of its products are bass specific. The one I mentioned above, the E15, is listed for "high level bass and full range response in both live sound and recorded music venues"...they have many other products as well.

The "no name" speaker above is actually by "B 52". They also do not have speakers listed as bass specific, but do have info on guitar amps.

Peavey has instrument specific speakers listed, but none that fall into the right category for my needs in terms of 15" AND 8 ohm.

No comments:

Post a Comment