Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Next CJ Gig and Kim Deal Sang Plenty

So on the heels of my personally devastating performance last week, we are preparing for our biggest show yet on April 16th. Of the 51 songs we've laid hands on over the last 12 months, it looks like we will shoot to play about 44-46 of them in a single night. This totally blows away the ACTUAL Pixie's record of playing 33 songs in a single night.

My voice, rattled by self doubt and about six months of coughs and colds, is kind of trashed.

Last night I sat down to work on some of the tunes that give me particular trouble vocally. I was recalling all the interviews I've read with Kim Deal about how people were sad that she "wasn't allowed to sing" more and how she's basically said, screw that, I was the bass player. So I mapped out the list into 1)sing lead, 2)sing backing, 3)don't sing.

All those people who complain that Kim Deal "wasn't allowed to sing more" can go to hell. She's singing all the freaking time. I should be so lucky to have to sing less and just play the bass. That'd be lovely. There's only 12 of the 51 songs that I don't sing at all on (and I think she does sing on a few of these, like Something Against You...live, or Wave of Mutilation...studio, I just don't). I sing lead on 3 songs. And most of the other 36 songs I have a backing vocal that is usually pretty key to the song...on a few I'd even call it a "shared lead vocal" (like I Bleed or Subbacultcha).

People, as always, are stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment