Thursday, September 1, 2011

TD, 8/26, The Wisco

Total blog fail. Kind of forgot this place existed.

We played a big 16 song set at Wisco Aug 26th headlining with The Sesters opening. I was in a foul mood. I've been off the juice for a while but decided to have a few drinks that day. By the time the show came around I was sober again, though, and feeling pissed at myself. Plus I just don't seem to know how to interact with other human beings in forced social situations...like waiting around for a gig to start...or loading out with drunk fucks talking incoherently at me. While The Sesters played I ate a nearly raw burger that would have been good (nice bun, etc) if it had not been so bloody and creepy. Steak can be rare...ground meats should be cooked...especially when they've been sitting in a bar cooler all day.

I haven't been practicing Drain tunes at all. My left foot is having trouble (shoe inserts on order) and my right hand is having carpal tunnel/tendonitis issues from the forced fast and bad techinique of 11:59 and Detroit 442. Still, my playing on the 26th was pretty spot on. I didn't really care much about the gig and didn't expect anyone in the crowd that I knew...so there were no nerves and sobriety is the friend of drumming if you can stay out of your head. And I did ok.

All that said...16 songs is too many to play in a row. I felt fine physically, but Twan had to pee by the end and the audience checked out after the long and proggy Movin' On about half way through the set. Lesson...you can play 2 minute long Pixies tunes all night with no break if you want...but if you are playing originals and any song is over 4 minutes (or 8 for god's sake) you better give the people a chance to go outside and smoke a cigarette and stretch their legs...or else they just aren't coming back. And so it was.

As always the stage sound was bad at Wisco. I couldn't hear much of anything so I just played on and hoped everybody fell in behind me. But like I said...I seemed to play well and felt fine about my contribution.

We rehash the whole evening on Sept 22nd at The Great Dane...same lineup and probably most of the same songs cause rehearsals will be sparse in interium.

Setlist:
Bodie R Burnin
Sent It
Better N Better
1 is for Man
Future Song
Easy Life
It's Alright
HSUL
Gun in Your Grave
Movin On
At the Door
Gotta Tell U
Jack
Kiss U Kill U
Whole Damn World
Vacuum Man

No comments:

Post a Comment