Monday, April 22, 2013

CJ, 4/20/2013 Busking for Books

This weekend was ridiculous. I mean truly.  I was head roadie for LRC, which meant loading in and out and back and forth ad nas for 30 first time rockers. Since that just wasn't hard enough...I played two shows. And I had a very serious cold.

Saturday 11a-1p CJ played our first ever acoustic show on State Street for the Literacy Network's Busking for Books event. We brought down $100 in tips plus the $75 sponsorship...all to help folks read. I was worried about this show...about playing with a pick....about playing loud enough...about singing loud enough and/or my voice giving out. All my concerns were for naught. My only probably is that all the roadie stuff had aggravated my carpel tunnel and so my right hand kept falling asleep. I kept thinking..."Am I still holding the pick?" ..."Am I still playing?" Today my hands are still pretty numb...though oddly at gig #2 my hands were fine.

I can't provide the setlist because we played in random order (though I'll try to dig the song list we prepared up). Umass, Tame, Bone Machine, fast Wave and Broken Face were all requested. On that list the only ones we'd practiced were Umass and Bone Machine...but the others came off ok. It is kind of funny to try to breath in a sexy way with no mic though (Tame). RS and I sounded like we were having elderly hot COPD/asmatic sex in public.

Some people stopped and listened. RS had to whisper "mother-fucker" because a small child happened by at an inopertune moment. "La La Love You" was fun on the street...to yell "I love you" to strangers walking by and whistle at them.  A handful of our friends/fans came just to see us. A few Pixies fans who didn't know about us stopped by too and were pretty fricking happy.

Overall it was fun and went well. And I kinda think our band just rocks.




No comments:

Post a Comment