Monday, April 8, 2013

SVFD, 4/6/2013, Badger Bowl

We played a Big Lebowski themed Mad Rollin' Dolls after party at Badger Bowl with The Type and Damidol.

There was (surprise, surprise) a misunderstanding about the PA which resolved in Damidol bringing theirs. They set up a bunch of mics for us (and I mean A BUNCH) but it is unclear if they turned them on and certainly they didn't balance the levels. Soundcheck ran kind of like a theatrical performance of what someone who has never seen or done a sound check might put on (sort of like the way that I wrote about alcohol treatment/recovery in my novel back many years ago when I had no idea what such things actually involved). I'm not faulting the sound "crew" because they were trying to help and without them we'd have been SOL completely. But it reminds me that becoming more proficient at running live sound is a good priority to have. I'd like to be able to make more helpful suggestions rather than just stand around mildly irritated.

Anyway we played and did pretty well. A small flub here or there for all involved but overall it sounded like we'd been playing together much longer than we have...and certainly like we've had more than the, what is it now, (perhaps ten?) rehearsals that we've actually had.  I had my required brain farts, particularly on Sergio, but I'm getting better at covering them by playing the root notes of the chord when I lose my brain function to play whatever ridiculous line I'm supposed to be playing. I'm not sure how I'm managing that, but somewhere under all this effort maybe I'm actually developing subconscious instinct. I know...I'm as shocked as anyone.

I consumed no alcohol on the night of the show nor in the preceeding 19 days. Proper food and sleep was had. I was a little tired from yard work, but less so than I'd expected. I used the Ampeg amp and it performed well...not rattling and not cutting out. I tested it by running the set at 70% of full volume earlier in the day. At the show I ran at about 33% of full volume.

Setlist was the same as at Mickey's.

Setlist:

Freedom
Came Out of a Lady
Metro
Sergio
Hope I Never Lose My Wallet
Mr Smiley
Dandelions
Rascal King
Superman
Rudy
Thigh High Nylons
Lost Again
Red Rubber Ball

No comments:

Post a Comment