Friday, March 29, 2013

SSW, Mr Roberts, 3/28/2013

We played with Compact Duo and The Part Time Bums.

It was your typical nobody there Distortion Thursday gig at Mr. Roberts. A handful of SSW loyal friends came by after the Thurston Moore show ended and that was nice. A couple of drunken regulars stuck it out too.  We went on around 12:30 and played for about an hour.  I used my stripped down black kit with my crappy cymbals and was totally happy with it except that I really should take the towel out of my floor tom.  Setup and transport was easy breezy. 

I wasn't feeling like playing much, but I played well. Overall we sounded surprisingly good in general given how ill-prepared we were, but I supposed we had weekly rehearsals for almost 4 years before essentially stopping them all together 6 months ago. Some things I played different than normal because we haven't rehearsed much since September (when our last show was) and I don't practice these songs on my own anymore. But doing things differently wasn't bad, interesting in some spots. I was playing a different setup than I've mostly been playing lately, so there were also on-the-fly rearrangements, which are probably good for my brain sometimes. I probably should do some pad exercises to get back my fast single-stroke roll, but I don't use it for much and it'll always be there if I wanna get it back, so meh.

I was feeling pretty cough-y but managed to sing pretty okay. RS lost his voice towards the end which isn't surprising since he was sick and we sang Pixies last night acoustic without mics for three hours.

I didn't drink all day and have 10 days of that behind me now. It's been a pretty recovery-heavy week and I actually had a pretty personally significant visit to the local Shambahala Center last night before the gig. So we'll see how that goes. But it was nice to be able to load out of my car to my house at 2am last night and get everything put away instead of artificially passing out...and to be able to get real sleep once I layed down...and I was pretty happy when the alarm rang this morning at 6:30am that I didn't have a hangover. I ate a good dinner last night and added a walnut burger from the Harmony on top of it at 10pm to combat the staying up late bought of heartburn that I seem to get lately if I don't eat something (and which ruined my night at TD cd release party).  The bartender at the Harmony remembered me in a "long time no see" kind of way and it made me realize that I don't think I've set foot in that place for almost 6 years now...after having been a regular once a week drunk there for 3 preceeding that. She's either got a good memory or I was a real asshole back then. Probably both.

Setlist to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment