Thursday, March 14, 2013

Recording

I find myself in the odd position of putting the brakes on a recording process. This has never happened to me before. Usually I'm the one pushing to record.

I think that, if you are going to record, you should only do so when you are playing about as well as a unit as possible. The songs should be tight. The group should be tight. And that requires practice. Some groups require more practice than others...but hitting the studio on just half a dozen rehearsals total (nearly none of which that have included the entire band) that have been spaced over 9 months...that's not a good idea. You can play a gig like that...but recording means...recorded. For posterity. Forever. Why waste the engineers time (even if he IS a friend...perhaps ESPECIALLY since he is a friend) and the time of everyone in the band in order to produce something that you can't totally be proud of.

I am willing to be out-voted, but that's how I feel. I'm not sure why everyone wouldn't feel that way. Perhaps they over-estimate how good we sound and I under-estimate it. Still...I can't see how being prepared is ever a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment