Sunday, February 17, 2013

SVFD, Feb 15th, Mickey's

SVFD had its debut and played with The Type and TL;DR. The show went about as well as I could have hoped for. Turnout was great and the reception from the crowd was great. People had obviously come to see us specifically cause the place cleared when we finished. Hopefully those people will keep coming out and it won't be a first show phenomenon.

The only thing that sucked a little was that it took forever to clear the tables...so we weren't able to start playing until 11pm. Even so...our set took almost exactly 45 minutes...The Type started 30 minutes after we finished and played almost exactly 45 minutes...which left TL;DR an hour to set up and play so they got in a decent set. So it worked out even though it made things feel hectic at the start.

I hadn't realized how much I rely on RS to take charge at gigs. A little of that had to fall to me and it was weird, but not too bad. I was glad that The Type are pros and used to the situation at Mickey's. They were a big help and just made me feel better about the situation. I love people who jump in and move shit when it needs moving.

I used my old amp cause I think my Ampeg vibrates too much at high volumes and might be cutting out sometimes. I've identified that this model has those problems, which sucks. The G-K was fine, but didn't feel loud enough. The Type was using an old-style Fender Bassman and TL;DR had a Neo G-K.  Both sounded fine. I looked it up and those old Bassman's are only like 50 Watts and $2,000. I don't know how it sounded so good.

Our mistakes were minimal truly and the few that we had were recovered from quickly and well. There was even a mic failure that Be handled really well. Ba busted out some shit on keys that I've never heard her play before, sounded great. I only used notes on Superman. I had them for Sergio but forgot to pull them out and muddled through. I didn't have too many brain farts...and nothing catastrophic...just a few skipped notes here and there.

I commented to the sweetie later that I thought things went well...and that I NEVER say that. I don't feel jump up and down fantastic...but I don't feel bad at all. And for me that's probably saying a huge amount. It probably means things were fantastic.

I ate a good dinner, got good sleep, and did not drink. We brought in $61 per band...so that's $183 total...which if you figure that's after the charge for sound, isn't bad. We filled the place, but they weren't a drinking crowd and left when we were done, so the bar totals were probably affected by that fact.  Still, even on the best attended, hardest drinking nights at Mickey's I think CJ only brings down $300 total, and that was before the PA charge was in place...so I think we did well.

UPDATE: photos and video streaming in from all corners! Gotta say this sounds pretty darn good.


Setlist:
Freedom
Came Out of a Lady
Metro
Sergio
Hope I Never Lose My Wallet
Mr Smiley
Dandelions
Rascal King
Superman
Rudy
Thigh High Nylons
Lost Again
Red Rubber Ball

No comments:

Post a Comment