Monday, February 25, 2013

A Rare Case of Patting Myself on the Back

This weekend I was out supporting a friend who had a cd release show. The premiere local ska band rounded out the bill. I cozied up to the bass player and asked about sharing a bill sometime. He knows me as a drummer, and I suspect he thought I was drumming in the ska band. He asked what we were like. I said, "Oh we play stuff by Mustard Plug...Mighty, Mighty Bosstones...Streetlight Manifesto..." He stopped me. "Streetlight Manifesto?!?! Man, those are some hard basslines. I could never play that stuff. It's really fast."

So basically the person I thought I ought to aspire to play like told me I play better than he does.  That's pretty cool.

It also tells me that we basically started with the hardest stuff out there. Since I was blind to this fact, I just learned it. Had I known I probably would have been too terrified to try. So here's to being blind.

No comments:

Post a Comment