Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Kim Thompson and Nikki Glaspie

I hate when people make a big deal out of me being female and being a drummer. First off, it is awkward, because I don't consider myself female per se. And I don't like people drawing to my attention that most of the rest of the world DOES consider me female. Second off...what the hell? A drummer is a drummer.

That said, it is true that there are fewer female drummers than male drummers. And that I am intrigued when I meet or see a female drummer. So I'm a hypocrite.

Last night on the Grammys I noticed Beonce had a female drummer. This blog backs that up, though the post is old.

It likely was Kim Thompson or Nikki Glaspie (Nikki G).

That blog I referenced also lists the following female kit players:
Sheila E, Hilary Jones, Gina Schock, Susie Ibarra, Cora Coleman, Cindy Blackman, Terri Lyne Carrington, Debra Dobkin, Kate Schellenbach, Samantha Maloney, Meg White, Georgia Hubley, Vera Figueiredo, Torrance Castellano, and more.

He also says "One hopes the day will come when gender is no longer even considered, that we are all just musicians—until then though, lend an ear to what these women are doing on the skins, because they're here now and they're tearing the roof off of the sucker!"

Amen bro.

No comments:

Post a Comment