Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Lessons, Week 54

I don't know if Monday's lesson was lame...or really advanced. Either way it felt like a waste.

Basically we listened to songs by jazz bass player Mingus, Philly Joe Jones, and Herbie Hancock and we talked about structures in jazz music. Most of it didn't make sense to me. Nor did it interest me. Made the mistake of mentioning the bass part writing class I'm taking. Not sure why that led to jazz.

I hate jazz.

I get that it's part of a complete drum education, but I feel like I'm lacking in SO MANY areas...why throw jazz in there too? I just wanna play decent rock drums man. I'm not complicated.

I'm hoping it is just a passing thing. If it sticks around too long I'll have to say something...like "dude...I hate jazz."

All that said...I would have said the same thing about odd time signatures...and now someone in the new band is proposing we play a song that's in 5/4 with a 4/4 passage. So things become applicable eventually I suppose. Maybe I just don't know what's good for me. That's why I pay someone to tell me.

But I can only be force-fed vegetables for so long before I stop coming to dinner...so I'll be keeping an eye on it. He's usually pretty good about keeping things mixed up in a good way...so I doubt it will be a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment