Thursday, March 25, 2010

Bass Class

As mentioned, class was cancelled March 10 and 17. Last night we got back to it. Just when my eyes where rolling back in my head again regarding intense theory (when he said "mixolidian" I thought I would vomit), he started to talk about triads and inversions and passing tones, both scalar and chromatic. All of these things made vast amounts of sense to me, being basically how I play the bass. There were fresh things to be learned here, though...including the idea of moving the same pattern around the neck (which is to say, it is possible to find a root, third, fifth pattern that uses the same fingering no matter where you start...this is useful to me because I've never explored this much before). He suggested basically taking a chord progression...say I, IV, V...and playing the root, third, fifth of each chord. Then invert...same chord progression, but now play third, fifth, root...or fifth, root, third...or whatever. Do that for the entire damn circle of fifths. Try to find those fingering patterns you can move around the neck. This is what I need to learn.

We listened to All Blues again...and a minor blues song by Count Basie...and Alison (for passing tones). And probably a couple of other things that I'm forgetting. He actually had us play more, which really reinforced what he was talking about.

Overall, a good class. Maybe the best yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment