Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Drummers/Bassists for The Breeders

So, in the back of my mind I have it that some day I'll play in a Breeders tribute band, maybe as a one off. It started as an annoying comment at CJ shows "You should be in a Breeders tribute!" but the more it got said to me the more sense it made. My only problem is that I would want to be the Kim Deal in such a project, but I'm not entirely sure that I play guitar well enough. Maybe well enough is the wrong way to say it. The right way to say it is, I don't know how to play power chords. I don't know much about Kim Deal's guitar playing, but I sense that power chords play a major role. This is not to say that I could not learn to play power chords, because after all they exist because they are easy, but it would be a whole new world to be dealing with. And I've got plenty on my plate. And there's a serious lack of tab out there.

Similiarly I wonder what decent lead guitar player would want to learn Kelley Deal's parts. I mean, I think they are great, but I don't know how a "real" lead guitar player would feel about them. And I worry that I'm not a good enough singer to pull off Kim or Kelley's vocals...though, of course, that hasn't stopped me from singing in a Pixies tribute band.

Anyway, I think about how such a group could work if it ever happened. And this has lead me to wonder about the musicians in the group and looking to learn more about how they play. Hence, this list:

Drummers:
Britt Walford (on Pod)
Jim McPherson (on Last Splash and on Pacer by The Amps)
Jose Medeles (on Title TK, Mountain Battles, and Fate to Fatal)

Bassists:
Josephine Wiggs (on Pod, Last Splash)
Mando Lopez (on Title TK, Mountain Battles, and Fate to Fatal)

No comments:

Post a Comment