Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Fundamentals Week One

So I am taking an online college course (Fundamentals of Drum Kit) on drums through Berklee School of Music. Monday was my first day. So far I really like the format. The concept of having assignments due is a little terrifying, but so far so good. The first lesson was a lot of basics that I already had down...but plenty that was challenging too. It reassured me that I have a solid musical background (if you went into this course not knowing how to read music, I think you'd be lost, even though the course is supposed to cover that). It DOES make me a little nervous for future lessons...because once we hit the stuff that I don't know it'll feel crazy fast. They aren't waiting for anyone to catch up...let's put it that way. And I will pretty much need to work on this every night of the week to get my assignments turned in on time. Here's the topic outline and the assignment songs for each week:

Week 1, Basics: Separate Ways
Week 2, Basics: Flashlight
Week 3, Time and Ghost Notes: Cold Sweat
Week 4, Single Stroke Rolls and 32nds: Swingtown
Week 5, Double stroke open and bossa nova: The Girl From Ipanema
Week 6, Samba: variations
Week 7, Half-time suffle: Rosanna
Week 8, Compound meter grooves: Spellbound
Week 9, Afro-Cuban 6/8: Afro Blue
Week 10, Jazz Shuffle: Things Ain’t What they used to be
Week 11, Swinging: April in Paris
Week 12, Cha Cha: Naima

The format is...several videos by the instructor on various topics with text, sheet music and audio files to accompany. There's a discussion question...a weekly live chat (which I can probably only make some of the time due to work)...and two songs to learn (an etude and a pop song), record, and turn in. The first song is simple...but has challenging elements.

Here's the hardest part of the song for me...though this part is in the "extra credit" portion of the assignment.

Like I said, if I didn't already read music...and read DRUM music...it would be SUPER hard. As it is I'm gonna have to work on the song a bunch. I already have the book that most of these songs come out of...along with a slow-downer cd which will help...so I can work ahead a bit. I've been trying to learn Swingtown for years...so they aren't easy. The Latin grooves terrify me too...but of course that's why I'm doing this...to be challenged and go to the next level. I really like being able to work alone and at my own pace. So far they seem to do a good job with the pacing and materials (better than other online lessons I've seen)...so I think it will be good. Guaranteed freakout at some point in the next 12 weeks though. Don't say I didn't tell you so. It will probably happen the week of Feb 6th...just saying...I know myself but always forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment