Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Fundamentals Week Four

This week it is Swingtown (and, obstensibly 32nd notes, though ironically there aren't any of those in Swingtown).

I've been trying to learn to play this song literally for years.

Here's a former Berklee student pulling it off quite well


There are two hard things in this song for me.

The main riff:

The 2nd bass note is on an off beat so to speak, which makes it a real independence issue. Beyond that...this is pretty fast...and goes on forever. It's a long time for me anyway...five minutes of a strenuous pattern for me.

The fills:

I probably can get this. I'm just not used to playing fills at all and the "ruff" and triplet figure isn't something I'm used to.

This is the kind of song that makes me want to cry. At the moment I can play the main riff at about 60% speed. If I drop the "off" bass note...I can play the riff full speed...but it is exhausting. I know that these things just take practice...but it feels like it takes me longer than it should. It literally feels like my right foot is retarded and acting on its own. The control is all over the place.

I am who I am and I am where I am and all I can do is keep trying. I think that my fear and shame makes me avoid practicing...and that's why these things take so long. And I have to remember that I've only been at this for 6 years...and as an adult with obligations. I don't have the benefit of endless hours of being a teen with a drum kit. Patience. Persistance. And in the end...it is progress to value, not perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment