Thursday, January 5, 2012

Update on Pixies Tunes

Last night was a good reminder that people all have different ways of looking at the world. CJ discussed what songs we plan to bother learning. I've been discussing that here with myself over the last week and thought I had a handle on it. But everyone is different, and so I was a little surprised by what everyone else thought.

There was really only three of us in on the conversation, so it is entirely possible that we missed "Joey's" opinions and that those could change things again...but here's what we agreed to work on...

Ana
Wave UK
Space
Velvety
Lovely Day
Build High
Weird at My School
Cecilia Ann
Rock Music
Hangwire
Dance the Manta Ray
Motorway to Roswell
In Heaven (Kim Deal version)
Rock a My Soul
The Happening
(update: on 1/11/2012 we decided to add Santo to above list)

Bailey's Walk was vetoed for being too screamy though I feel like it is a key b-side (we'll do the Kim Deal version of "In Heaven" for the same reason). I was shocked...shocked...to see "Velvety" rise to the top of the list. I listened to it a dozen times this morning and it won't be hard to pick up...but it still surprised me as I'd totally written it off. It's a fun song though, so I'm fine with it. I was also a little surprised to see "Lovely Day" on the list...but I'll have it ready soon so that's fine. "Rock A My Soul" isn't as suprising as it might be because I've always known that EH loves it...but it will be harder to find videos (it is in the TT Bear's video, but the quality is poor) and tab for. I have some draft chords and that's it.

This leaves the following to be undone in theory...

All Over the World
Stormy Weather (though RS expressed some love for it)
Havalina
Navajo Know (CT loves this, the rest of us hate it, so it is still up to debate)
Bailey's Walk
Make Believe
The Thing
Santo (update: on 1/11/2012 we decided to add this to above list)
Bam Thwok
Boom Chicka Boom
Theme from NARC

and all the remaining covers
Winterlong (EH hates this song)
Evil Hearted You
Wild Honey Pie
Ain't that Pretty At All
Can't Forget
Born in Chicago
Hang on to Your Ego
I've Been Waiting

Everything is still up to debate, of course...and the idea of doing a "weird ass" song show isn't off the table, in which case everything is game. There's nothing left off that I have strong love for...though I DO think that we ought to play total Bossonova and total Trompe shows...so I'm probably push to learn those tunes to perform at least once.

Last night we blasted through Blown Away, Bird Dream, and D=RxT like they were nothing, though I know that CT still isn't happy with his parts. Next week we'll tackle Ana, Wave UK, Space (or at least get a start on it...since this is probably the hardest song left...maybe the hardest song period besides maybe Alec Eiffel), and Velvety.

No comments:

Post a Comment