Thursday, May 20, 2010

Bands, Bands, Bands

I got four bands going at the moment...
#1 punk covers, well established, plays out once a month, I play drums
#2 just getting started (but with a bang and already 2 shows in a month) tribute band, I play bass
#3 also just getting started, first show June 19th, rock covers, I play drums
#4 on-again-off-again folksy/bluesy/jammy ensemble in which I play drums. We're playing for friends this weekend and a low key benefit June 5th

You'd think this would be enough, but I'm still looking around a bit. I have word in to a Pogues/Kissers type originals band to play bass (though I think they'd rather I play drums) and to NM's side project to play bass. Also thinking about auditioning for a more upscale group on drums. Waiting to get some advice on that before I go for it though.

At the moment I'm having the most fun with the tribute band. Comparatively speaking, the bass...at least when I'm playing parts someone else wrote and that I can find tab for...feels easier than the drums. Less exposed too. Vocal harmonies are hard for me, but I'm working through that and it is a limited portion of the gig.

I'd like to play bass in another group to expand my understanding of the instrument.
I still consider drums my primary instrument, but it is also hard work. I think I may be avoiding it a little bit.

Why am I still looking for other projects? I'm not sure. I think it is because I'm in the position to do so. And also because most of my groups are at a place where we have our basic set lists down pretty well. I may be looking for new experiences. But I don't really know why I'm still looking. Maybe because I don't want to miss out on "the big chance" at something really great.

No comments:

Post a Comment