Monday, May 3, 2010

Burning the Candle

Funny old thing, life.

I had a little bit of a crazy few months just past. Added two new bands. Was taking classes two nights a week. Took two major trips.

It all ended with the double header on April 24th and a week of vacation after.

Or so I thought. I thought things would settle down. But it looks like they aren't. Crackity Jones is booked for our second gig May 19th and we have to learn 6 new songs for it. That's six songs in just about two weeks, as our first rehearsal on the new material isn't until May 5th. It is a compressed timeline...but that seems to be how we roll. At this rate (though high hopes that we won't keep this pace up) we'll have the entire Pixies catalog in hand by the end of the year (I'm not kidding).

There's talk about taking my grunge/rock band to 2-a-week rehearsals to prepare for playing out sometime in May/June/July. I think this is a good idea, cause we're kind of just screwing around right now. I thought about having us open on May 19th...but it would be SO nice to only play one set this time. I floated it to the boys, mainly to get us thinking about playing out...hence the 2-a-week idea.

I've tentatively agreed to play a benefit on June 5th...either as a solo act or with the hippy quartet, which only rehearsed together about three times and with whom I haven't sat down with for months. May also play with them at a camping outing May 22nd, likely with no rehearsal. In fact, that'll likely BE our rehearsal for the benefit if we play it.

I'm going to take another class, against my better judgement, for five weeks starting June 22nd. "Singing for Screamers". I had a coupon. Luckily it's 4:30-5:30 once a week...so I won't be there late into the evening and it won't muck up rehearsals.

In a way, it all feels like the new normal...so I think it's okay. I'm grateful to have the opportunity to play so much music with so many different people. Life is good. BUSY...but good.

No comments:

Post a Comment