Monday, October 4, 2010

Checking In

This blog has gone a bit off the rails in the last few months.

My original intent for this blog was to have it be fairly anonymous and to keep the bitching to a minimum. Just track my progress and post info along the way that helped me. Drummer profiles. Resources. Songs to learn.

Not having a weekly lesson hurts the blog AND my progress I suspect, but it isn't the end of the world.

I've been focused on learning songs for auditions and post-audition ramp up the last few months and this has thrown everything off too. And since the new band doesn't have videos online, I can't even post those.

But I'd like to get back to the basics here. In particular I want to get back to posting drummer profiles. I've been reading plenty of Drum! and Modern Drummer articles about people whose names are both familiar and new to me. I'm way behind.

I'm also in the slow, painful process of digitizing my entire cd collection. This will make it much easier to hit "shuffle" and get hundreds of drummers streaming to my ears to play along to. I think this may make me want to learn who those folks are again.

I admit too that this past weekend someone said something to me about blogging and it reminded me of one of the reasons why this blog was started...to post information on a particular subject that, while it would have a personal edge (my journey) would be less about me and more about the subject matter. A blog that would be useful to people who never met me...rather than useful to people who knew me for reposting and screwing me over with my words. Less drama, more rock. I fear I've started to editorialize here too much on my personal daily experiences. And I want to get away from that. I'd like this to be a place that drummers (or bass players) stumble upon and get drawn into...and that people who know me stumble upon, instantly find super boring, and never come back to.

End of unneccessary administrative hyper-self-aware post. Back to the drums.

No comments:

Post a Comment