Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Comparisons: Cymbals

Cymbals may the the most complex thing to compare. My situation is that I have two drum kits. One has the cheapest cymbals they make on it...the ones that came with a beginner's kit. The other has half of what I'd classify as introductory cymbals...a few steps up from the ones on the other kit...but nothing fancy. The other half are perhaps a step up from that...we'll call them intermediate or semi-pro cymbals. I've recently decided to get a set of used "pro-grade" cymbals and shift my intro and semi-pro cymbals to my second kit.

I currently have the following:
-Paiste 2000 Colorsound 16" Crash (given to me for a ridiculously low $25 by RD. It's a good cymbal and research tells me it is in the quality area that I want to up grade to. It sounds ok but the sound isn't special to me)
-Paiste 302 20" Ride (came used with my first kit. Research says this is an old intro line. It's ok, but nothing special. The bell is also too small for my taste.)
-Zildjian Scimitar Hi-Hats, either 13" or 14" not sure (came used with my first kit. My research tells me this is an old intro line of cymbals. The top hat has some keyholing starting)
-Wuhan 12" Splash (bought new for I think around $30 at PASIC)

Stashed in the pile I don't use much:
-Zildjian ZXT Titanium 10" Splash (came used with my first kit. I much loved this cymbal, but it ends up being too high and quiet for my needs. I've also trashed it so it has a dent and some cracking at the center)
-Meinl Bell. I don't remember the size or know the model. (bought new at PASIC for close to retail...didn't realize this at time. I got it cause I was unhappy with my ride bell. It hasn't worked into the kit well though.)

And the first purchase in my upgrade plan
-Sabian AA El Sabor 20" Ride (bought used for $60 last weekend. When I was looking to get a 12" splash I really like the El Sabor line for its sound and its unfinished bells, so I jumped at the chance to get this so cheap. In particular because I'd just seen one on Craig's List for double the price. After I got it home I wasn't that happy with the ride sound...though I like the bell a lot. The ride is brighter than I'd like I think. It may just take getting used to, though.)

So, as I've mentioned, I'm a cheap bastard. And there's no getting around that cymbals are really expensive. Which would normally lead me to cheap out. But in this case it just doesn't pay. If I wanted to go that way I'd stick with what I have and call it a day. But I want to improve my sound and to be taken more seriously, and I think better equipment will help in that. The consolation is that good cymbals played in the way I play them will last a lifetime. They won't ever need to be replaced unless they get stolen or damaged by accident unless I want a new sound. So it is worth going with something decent.

It is NOT however, worth going with something decent and something NEW. The interesting thing about cymbals is that their sound changes with age...so to me it's better to buy used cause they are "worn in" and you get what you buy in terms of sound. And, of course, used is cheaper. In some cases WAY cheaper.

The pitfall of buying used it that you have to know what you're doing. You have to know what something is worth...and therefore what is a good deal. And you have to know what to look for in terms of damage. Detecting damage is pretty easy. Generally avoid keyholing at the center or cracks (unless it's a smokin' deal and you think you can repair the damage). Speaking to knowing what's worth it...that's a combo of what sounds good to me...and what is a quality product. So this comparison is to tell me what is a quality product.

Entry level cymbals tend to be made of brass and/or be cut from a sheet. Better cymbals are cast of bronze. Typically, the lower/cheaper end of that spectrum has less tin in the bronze...like 8%. Higher quality cymbals have 20% tin. There are all kinds of alloys used and this isn't a hard and fast rule...but it's a good enough rule of thumb for me. Basically...I'm looking to move into an all cast 20% tin bronze situation.

Then it's just a matter of taste and cost. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), I don't have a very discerning ear. So it's hard for me to say what I like. To be honest, I don't like cymbals in general, they are too harsh to me. So I think I tend away from trashy/washy sounds and towards mellow tones with a quick decay. I want it to be as non-irritating to me as possible and for it to go away quickly. That said, I think not being super picky works in my favor, because I can be open to a broader range of models in the used market.

So my search will generally be amongst Zildjian, Sabian, and Paiste cymbals. These are just the most common. I wouldn't turn my nose up at a Meinl or a Wuhan or Dream brand...but I would want to evaluate them more carefully. I also expect to see fewer of them out there. Other brands are around too...but I'm really looking for well known, well tested products.

Below are general lines. Within each line there are dozens of models...and that's where it starts to get more complicated. Still wading through that, but below are the general guidelines.

Things I Want to Keep an Eye Out For:
-Paiste 2000, 2002, 3000, Giant Beat lines
-Sabian AA, AAX, HH, HHX lines
-Zildjian A (also called Avendis), A Custom, K, K Custom lines

Things I Want to Avoid:
-Paiste pst3, pst5, 101, 201, 302, 402, 404, 502, 505, 802
-Sabian apx, sbr, xs, B8, B8pro,
-Zildjian pitch black, z3, zht, zbt, zxt

Stuff I'm Not Sure About Yet:
-Paiste Formula 602, 1000, Alpha, Rude, Signature, Twenty
-Sabian vault
-Zildjian Z Custom

No comments:

Post a Comment