Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Snare Drums, More Research

I think I am narrowing my search for a snare drum. Based on internet research only (haven't actually played anything yet) I think I'd like to get a wood snare...probably maple. It sounds like a solid or block snare is the best...but cost will likely keep me firmly in the plywood department. Sounds like you want a thin shell...but not TOO thin.

Some research (all prices are for new from discount retailers):

Pearl (MCX) Masters Maple Snare Drums
6-ply, 7.5mm shells
$275.00 for 14x5.5 ($219 at Sam Ash), $330.00 for 14x6.5
This seems to be an industry standard. It would be hard to go wrong with this unless something was wrong with the drum.

Mapex MPX Maple Snare Drum
5.1mm
$149.00 for 14x5.5
This is Mapex's attempt to bring maple to the masses. Not sure yet if these are decent or not. I'd like to play a MPX against a Pearl MCX to see how they match up. I wonder if this is too thin and I am in danger of warping it if I tune improperly.

Pearl Artisan II Maple Snare Drum
$199.00
Needs more research

Tama Artwood Maple Snare
7-ply, 6mm thick
$290.00 forn 14x5.5 ($259 at Sam Ash)
Needs more research

Orange County Drums and Percussion Maple Snare
think this is probably really thick
$299.00 for 14x7
I was tempted by an Orange County that was on Craig's List for $150, but the more I look into it, I'm not sure this is what I want. Orange County are notoriously thick shells, which I guess can cause unwanted ringing. The solution is thicker hoops. Also a deep, thick snare is really made, as far as I can tell, to be loud. I think that I'm more of a finesse player than a power player. And I'm never gonna play in a heavy metal band. Any band I play in is gonna have to adjust to me being a more quiet player. A super loud snare seems out of character.

No, I think I want something versatile. I want to be able to tune it high and get a loud and sharp crack and a good rim shot, but I also want something that can be tuned a little lower and have a warm and fat tone. And I want something that avoids as many unwanted overtones as possible.

I think I've defined my price range as $150-$300. I'd like to stick with a well known brand and model. I used to not care about that, but if you are going to upgrade you might as well go with a known quantity...both for quality and, sadly, to impress others that you mean business. The New Beat hi hats that I bought convinced me that there is something to all of this on many levels. I don't need the most fancy or expensive or impressive equipment...but I want time tested recognized quality. It looks like Pearl, Tama, or Mapex will be my best bets to balance cost and quality.

As to size, it seems reasonable to go with a standard size...I think 14 x 5.5 or 14 x 6.5. I'd have to play them side by side to choose. I don't want to get a 13 inch and I don't think I want anything smaller than 5.5 or deeper than 6.5. Again, though, I need to play more snares to know. But it seems that if I am looking for a versatile workhorse, it's best to stay in the standard sizes.

No comments:

Post a Comment