Monday, October 4, 2010

Comparisons: Drum Heads

I've not yet determined my best head combo. For the most part I've run with REMO...either clear Emperor tom batter heads or clear Pinstripes...and a controlled sound coated dot snare. For resonant heads, clear Ambassadors and a hazy snare. For bass batter either a coated Emperor or clear Powerstroke 3. I briefly used some Evans heads (EC2s I think) on a kit I was borrowing as well.

Remo
For price, models tend to run, low to high: Diplomat, Ambassador, Emperor, Pinstripe. The specialty heads I don't take note of. Black (ebony) tends to be more than clear...coated more than clear as well. But the price differences are often minor...a buck or two at most. Bigger heads are more expensive as well.

Evans
It probably depends on the retailer, but it seems to me that Evans heads are a hair more expensive than Remo, but this might be because I'm looking at heads with more features. I get the feeling Evans tend to be less available...though I think this is changing and depends on where you go.

Aquarian
I think Aquarian heads are ugly. I can't help it. They sometimes seem to be a little cheaper than other brands, but they can also be hard to find. I ignored them.

SUMMARY
I haven't listed out prices here...but a single snare or tom head in standard sizes is going to run $10-$20 pretty much depending on size, brand, and model. A 22 inch bass head will run $35-$45. Sometimes it makes no sense to me the prices they assign (sometimes "better" heads aren't much more).

I still haven't decided what my go-to heads are, but I've been pleased enough with Remo for sound, durability, availability, and price. I'm currently running two kits...one with clear Emperors and one with Pinstripes. We'll see if I can tell the difference enough to move to Pinstripes permanently. They are slightly more pricey.

I haven't really gone with coated heads for toms at all. Probably something worth researching. I think the kit I borrow on Monday nights might have coated toms.

Without a doubt for kits in standard sizes (which I have...12, 13, 16, 22, 14 snare), "Pro-packs" or pre-packaged sets are the way to go. Much cheaper than buying heads individually. My new thing is to keep an eye out for sales. I picked up a 3 pack of pinstripes with a Powerstroke 3 snare for $29 at Guitar Center recently...which was just ridiculously cheap. Worth buying any time a deal like that pops up. Usually heads are cheaper online (if shipping is free...if not can be an oversized item...watch out)...and nearly always there's a better chance of finding what you want online. I have trouble finding the correct models in stores often.

No comments:

Post a Comment