Friday, June 22, 2012

Off Beat Bass Drum

I think that my primary challenge is independence. It's a hard thing to work on because it is so frustrating.  Part of the key is doing unexpected things.

A pretty simple pattern that I've largely avoided thus far is the snare flam on 1, 2, 3, 4 and bass drum on all of the "ands" of those beats. This is a standard rock beat, but differs from the classic rock beat that is bass drum on 1, 3 and snare on 2, 4.  It's a simple pattern...but differs in interesting ways from what my body is programmed to do on autopilot.

I can keep this off beat bass thing up for a few measures, and then my foot starts to drift to the one.  I've gotten better about it over the last 6 months or so, and am now able to sustain the beat for sometime without drifting, though my hold on it is tenuous at best. 

Last night I decided to add a component. Rather than just playing that same pattern over and over...I tried to add a simple little snare fill. Sure enough, coming out of the fill was impossible. I either had to drop the bass drum out entirely and come back in later with it...or if would drift to the "1" as soon as the fill ended.

It strikes me that this is a very simple exercise and one that I ought to work on a bit. It really could work out some serious independence things.

An example of what I mean. The drum beat here does the off beat thing...and at 0:26 he throws in a tiny little fill. That fill would totally throw me off the primary pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment