Friday, June 15, 2012

SSW, Froth House, 6/14/2012

Two perspectives for no good reason


We played a totally unplugged show at Froth House.  Traded sets with Jim Schwall and surprise guests Mother Banjo.  I had some concerns about this show going in which I won't go into details about here, but all ended up to be unfounded. We unexpectedly played outside in a sandpit...but my carpet and a borrowed carpet made it bearable. The weather was pleasant and the acoustics not too bad. The mosquintos stayed away until the last song we played. We were asked to come back in the fall.

A surprising number of GRC/LRC gals showed up in support and I suddenly realized that this is a whole new market of fans to be cultivated. It helps that it was an early free show. We didn't sound great and we didn't sound terrible. I was unhappy with the tuning of my snare, but I tweaked it and felt ok after a while. I also just did way more rim clicks. CT told me the bass drum was too loud so I pulled that back second set too. I forgot the words to Hate and War, which was bound to happen eventually. Gotta write that one down. I curse the day I recommended that song in the first place. RS started one song in the wrong key and JG's guitar strap broke mid song and he had to play most of the second set sitting down.  I had bought an acoustic/electric bass just for this show (and an imaginary future Pixies acoustic show) but KS ended up using an upright instead and it sounded great. Someone said they loved my singing and someone said they loved my "drum playing style" which is funny because #1 I was just screaming and #2 I wasn't playing my regular style AT ALL.

Witnessing the affair may have turned CT around to trying the acoustic Pixies set. So maybe that acoustic bass I bought won't go to waste afterall.

Somewhere along the line here I've fallen off the wagon and been run over by the horse and cart and so there were drinks last night. But it didn't affect my performance I don't think. But that's just lucky and needs to not be a trend.

We were paid $35 total plus one sandwich and one beer per band member. More than I expected.

Setlist:
SET ONE
1. PART TIME PUNKS
2. BOSCOBEL BREAKOUT
3. TEENAGE KICKS
4. WE ARE THE ONE
5. POLITICAL SONG FOR MICHAEL JACKSON TO SING
6. ONE TRACK MIND
7. THIS SIDE OF PARADISE
8. HELICOPTER
9. NO FUN/I WANNA BE YOUR DOG

SET TWO
1. DANCE 4X TO THE RADIO
2. HATE AND WAR
3. NEW ROSE
4. WARSAW
5. THE WAY I LOVE YOU
6. TWO PINTS OF LAGER AND A PACKET OF CRISPS PLEASE
7. TOO DRUNK TO FUCK
8. I AM A cliché
9. SUSPECT DEVICE
10. WASTED (skipped this song on the fly)
11. FUCKED UP AND WASTED

No comments:

Post a Comment