Monday, March 3, 2014

SVFD, 3/1/2014, HNS

SVFD played a benefit for GRC. I played okay...notably biffing the intro to Lost Again and the outro to Somewhere in the Between.

I really don't know why these things happen...messing up shit that I think that I know. Then again...I really should just practice those things into the ground. They are short segments that stick out...I should just bucket the fuck down and get them in the muscles. I'd never mess up a Pixies song I'd practiced into the ground. I have the technology.

I don't accept the argument recently posited that playing songs from memory makes the performance inherently sloppier. It just isn't true. What IS true is that playing things from memory that you don't truly have memorized yet will always be sloppy.

I just don't like having to have a music stand on stage. Others can do what they want, but it makes me feel shitty to have it up there for myself. And it makes me nervous to not know something well enough (then I can't focus on getting my shifts right and interacting with the audience and such). Some of those tunes are gonna be really tough to memorize, but I really have to try. Or at least get the notes down to a manageable size (my notes for Superman are lengthy, but acceptable if I must have notes, for instance). Two page notes written in pencil really doesn't cut it on stage. Notes should be compact and readable from the floor.

Side note: I am disappointed that my most prominent feature in gig photos is becoming my double chin. Sure would be nice to be able to grow a legitimate beard. Le sigh.

Setlist:
Red Rubber
Rudy
Mr Smiley
Spiderwebs
Superman
About a Girl
Rascal King
Somewhere
Lemuel
Thigh High
Lost Again
Came Out
I Will Survive
Wallet (forced encore)

No comments:

Post a Comment