Monday, December 14, 2009

MMF Jam Session

So Saturday was the Madison Music Foundry Jam Session that I was learning Radar Love and Cissy Strut for. It was entertaining and educational.

It really highlighted for me how important communication amongst musicians is. I often feel like the communication in my bands is not as good as it should be...but the truth is that there is this base level of understanding and listening that goes on even if people seem like they aren't paying attention. Not so with 12 year olds who have never played with others. I'm not faulting them...they did great. It was more educational for me...just highlighting how much happens in a band that I'm not super conscious of...and reminding me how important listening and looking is.

The whole program is a really great experience for these kids. I don't know if they take that away or not. Maybe they are too focused on the song they learning and on being nervous to absorb everything that is going on around them. But all of it is great stuff...playing on a stage with a PA, playing with monitors, playing with other musicians. Really great stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment