Monday, December 14, 2009

Saturday's Show at Mickey's

The band played at Mickey's on Saturday.

About one day a week, pretty consistently, I sit down to play the drums and feel like I've never done it before. Total limb retardation. Unfortunately, Saturday was one of these times.

I had some things working against me. Since Wednesday I've walked the length of this town in deep snow or on ice 3 or 4 times. Sometimes wearing shoes with no support...sometimes wearing shoes with too much support. What this leads to is...tired feet. This was bad news for my right foot. I felt like my control was for shit. Imagine lifting weights and then trying to use your arms for fine motor skills. They feel weak and they shake and your control is for shit. That's how my foot felt.

Compounding this problem was that I was using a borrowed kit. It was a really nice borrowed kit, but foriegn just the same. The throne was way too high and I thought I could get away playing like that, but essentially I played the first two songs on my tip toes. I thought I play mostly heel up...but it turns out that I still rest my heel on the ground alot more than I thought. So my tired foot got even more tired. It was shaking pretty bad. So after the second song I adjusted the throne. Things were better after that, but the damage was done...both to my leg and to my psyche.

And then my fills were for shit. I don't understand this. I play these songs once or twice a week and most of the time the fills are fine. And then sometimes they totally suck.

Lessons learned:
1. Get plenty of sleep the night before a gig
2. Get plenty of physical rest the day or so before a gig
3. Make sure your throne height is right
4. Practice your fucking rudiments, dumbass

We cleared an amazing $144 ($190 from % of bar sales, $83 from tip jar, $17 from $$$ thrown at B'dum, B'dum...who were kind enough to split the kitty evenly between the bands). This was a huge suprise take for a "free" show at Mickey's.

Set list:
1. WARSAW
2. WE ARE THE ONE
3. TEENAGE KICKS
4. YOU STUPID FUCKING LIBERALS
5. THE WAY I LOVE YOU
6. THIS SIDE OF PARADISE
7. MANIAC
8. FABLE
9. SUSPECT DEVICE
10. DANCE (4X) TO THE RADIO
11. PART TIME PUNKS
12. HELICOPTER
13. POLITICAL SONG FOR MICHAEL JACKSON TO SING
14. BOSCOBEL BREAKOUT
15. FUCKED UP AND WASTED
16. EVERYBODY’S HAPPY NOWADAYS OUTRO

No comments:

Post a Comment