Monday, January 10, 2011

Lessons Version 2.0, Week 1

Met up with JBB for my first lesson. He laid out that he is a hard core technique kind of guy. He structures all of his lessons in blocks...so for, say, 6 weeks, all of his students get taught the same subject (modified according to level). I was coming in on week 2 of Latin. We went over Samba. He did a really good job of building me up to it...a pattern I've struggled with. I had it going within ten minutes. He was good about details...noticing for instance that I had my heel down. He moved at a quick pace, but not too quick. Reassuring when needed...reaffirming when needed. We didn't use the entire half hour. Quality over quantity he said. That kind of sounds like a crock...but it is absolutely true that we made huge progress in about 15 minutes and that I was overwhelmed at that point. It would have been hard to absorb anything else. Which is basically what he said.

It is the style of lessons that will require me to go away and practice a concept and be able to come back and perform that concept. But he's only going to give me one concept at a time, so it won't be too much to do. There will be accountability.

It's kind of terrifying, but in a totally good way. Personality wise I thought we got along fine. He will push hard, but I think he will get results quickly from me. I think that I could really make huge advances with his guidance.

No comments:

Post a Comment