Monday, January 10, 2011

SSW, 1/8/2011, Crystal Corner Bar

I had modest dreams when I started playing in bands here in Madison. Amongst them, to play at the High Noon Saloon, the Harmony Bar, and the Crystal Corner Bar. All three have now been accomplished.


I had a head cold, but solidered on for this. Managed to pull it off decently. Used my own kit. Didn't drink any alcohol. Plenty of sleep and food. Loaded in (my black kit) from a back alley door straight to the stage at 8pm for a 10pm start. I continue to be happy with my stripped down gig kit and the hardware bag that I'm improvising with. The sound guys did some interesting (read: strange) things...asked me to play louder (I didn't)...asked Rick to use a different amp (he didn't)...and put some super weird effects on the vocals. The much storied green room wasn't anything that I'd write home about. Having a bathroom and a tv ought not to make such facilities considered top of the line IMHO. I left right after playing to continue recovering from my illness. We had a nice turnout. I don't know what the take was as I left before cash out.

My only real reflection on my playing is that 1) I don't practice these songs anymore, which is probably not good and makes them less than second nature and 2)when you are stone cold sober playing songs that aren't really that hard, your mind begins to wander and focus on strange things. The effect is hyper-consciousness...which while drumming...is bad. You can't drum and think too hard about what you are doing or you will screw up. I need to work on some strategy to deal with this that doesn't involve alcohol.

Setlist (it was David Bowie/Elvis's birthday, so we pulled out Starman with a psych-out Jailhouse Rock beginning). We crammed these 15 songs into a mere 45 minutes without running over:
1. DON’T GIVE ME NO LIP CHILD
2. BOSCOBEL BREAKOUT
3. HATE & WAR
4. I HATE THE RICH
5. MR. SUIT
6. HELICOPTER
7. DANCE 4X TO THE RADIO
8. NEW ROSE
9. WARSAW
10. EVERYBODY’S HAPPY NOWADAYS
11. POLITICAL SONG FOR MICHAEL JACKSON TO SING
12. TWO PINTS OF LAGER AND A PACKET OF CRISPS, PLEASE
13. TOO DRUNK TOO FUCK
14. FUCKED UP AND WASTED
15. STARMAN

No comments:

Post a Comment