Monday, January 3, 2011

Starting Lessons Again

I took drum lessons for 76 weeks ending on August 19, 2010. Whether or not I counted weeks in which we had to skip a lesson is a little iffy...but I believe I made the decision to start lessons in December 2008 and the lessons actually started sometime in February 2009. Prior to that I had taken lessons twice before, but neither time did it last beyond a few months.

My instructor for the 76 weeks, EN, left town, ending my lessons and I decided to take some time off. I thought I'd study independently...but a couple of auditions got in the way and a subsequent award of a drum chair in a band...and ever since then I've pretty much just been trying to learn that band's catalogue. I've had a couple of false starts with "studying" on my own, but it hasn't been sticking.

This Sunday I'm starting weekly lessons with a new instructor. He's the one my last instructor recommended, and he also comes with plenty of good press. Recently he was waiting to hear on a possible grammy nomination. It didn't come through...but that's the level of player I'm dealing with.

I'm not sure what my goal will be for this round of lessons. I'm gonna wait and see where he takes me to some degree. My general goal is just to continue studying in a way that takes me beyond just learning and playing the tunes my bands play. Challenging myself with concepts that I might not explore on my own. Improving my independence. Improving my comfort with odd time signatures and styles I'm unfamiliar with. Generally improving my sense of "groove" and timing. Making things more instinctual. Improving my ability to play all major styles on the fly. And just holding me to weekly study. Being held responsible for showing up and playing at least that one day a week...and perhaps even for preparing for that time.

With instructors I find that it is really just about personal chemistry for me. I have to get along well with the person first and foremost, and feel like I can communicate with them. I want them to push me...but not too hard. And I want them to be well organized. I think I will know after one or two lessons if this instructor is a good fit. In general, I do not like taking music lessons...so this chemistry piece is very important. If it is a good fit...then we'll have to see where it goes from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment