Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Thoughts On Playing Slow

So one of my bands has these "cock rock" tunes that require playing relatively slowly. When I was playing with the grunge ensemble that fell apart I had noticed that the slow songs were the hardest (stuff like Plush or Interstate Love Song by Stone Temple Pilots...or Cumbersome by Seven Mary Three). I'm finding the same thing now. Fast is hard in it's own way...but fast is kind of something you can easily build up to. Slow is tough, though.

Playing inconsistently when I play slowly is probably a huge groove killer (and what prompted the comment about playing behind the beat). It's something worth working on.

I imagine the only real way to work on this is to play with a metronome and improve my sense of internal timing at slow bpms.

Below is my first attempt at embedding an mp3 player into a blog post. Still working out the kinks. It doesn't seem to want to let me put the name of the song within the player or to allow you to fast forward or rewind. But this is the only code I could find that would allow an embedded player in Blogger. I guess Blogger isn't great for such stuff. But it works. Kinda. You might have to hit the play button twice.

This song starts fast, but at about 3:30 we switch into a slow "cock rock" bit. That's the kind of stuff I have trouble maintaining my tempo on.

No comments:

Post a Comment