Thursday, February 3, 2011

Bonzo

I've never been a Led Zeppelin fan. I didn't dislike them...they just were never on my radar. A few years ago I could not have identified a Led Zeppelin song on the radio. I had no idea.

As soon as I started trolling Craig's List for bands to join as a drummer I came across the "looking for a John Bonham-type drummer" ads. There were lots of them. Clearly a large segment of people held John Bonham (Led Zeppelin's drummer) up as the best example of rock drumming available.

I resisted forming an interest in Bonham because it seemed so cliche. But as time passed I became exposed to the man's work, and Zeppelin's music. I don't love their music, but I don't hate it either. I can appreciate it for what it is, but it isn't likely to be recreational listening for me any time soon.

That said, I HAVE come to appreciate Bonham's playing. Not because it's loud (he HAD to hit hard because it was a new age of amplified guitars prior to drums also being mic'ed) which seems to be why lots of people like him. I'm particularly interested in his use of the right foot with the bass drum. These days, if you want to play something complicated on the bass drum...you get a double pedal. Bonham never played with a double pedal, but he did some really interesting things with the bass drum. He also utilizes the left foot with the hi hat in interesting ways and uses ghost notes in interesting ways. He was, I admit, a pretty awesome drummer.

However...I think people who post for Bonham-esque drummers to join their bands are total posers. In the future I may use that request as a reason NOT to reply to an ad. It's nearly as bad as "must have pro gear." Only an asshole would say such a thing.

For a long time I assumed that I'd never be able to play drums like Bonham...and I was ok with that. I've learned to play "The Ocean" and I've tried to learn "Immigrant Song" (because it is a pattern often used in rock)...but I haven't tried much beyond that. For shits and giggles last night I pulled out the "Mothership" 2 cd set and my sheet music of Bonham's greatest hits and sat down to see where I'm at.

The Ocean


Immigrant Song


Much to my surprise, I was able to play much of the stuff...or at least an approximation. And the things I couldn't play I imagined that I could pick up with practice. It didn't seem insurmountable any more. Not even "Good Times Bad Times"...which at one time I thought was the most difficult drum part ever written.

Good Times Bad Times


Change happens so slowly over time. It always surprises me when I'm suddenly aware of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment