Monday, February 28, 2011

Lessons, Week 4 and Final

We went over Tightrope by SVR, then Samba, and Songa.

And I'm done.

For whatever reason it just didn't feel right this time around and so I'm quitting. I know that JBB is a great teacher and I could have learned a great deal quickly from him...but it just isn't going to work out.

I feel like a loser and a quitter and like I'm giving up a chance to really advance my skills, but I learned a long time ago that sometimes you just have to quit. I think I was about 25 or so when I quit the UW string orchestra and I remember thinking..."huh, I can quit stuff". It has since become something of a habit...where once I would push through anything just so as not to quit. Perhaps I'm getting lazy in my old age, but such is life.

I would like to try again what I intended to do starting last August when EN left town...so take an hour each week that WOULD have been my lesson and study on my own. That plan got messed up because I joined The Drain and my Monday nights (and all my practice time) became about that band. But things have settled into place with The Drain now and perhaps I can make time on Sunday nights for personal study instead. It's kind of like exercise...it isn't rocket science...it's just a matter of putting in the time.

So we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment