Tuesday, April 12, 2011

CJ, Mickey's, 4/16/2011

THE MARATHON!

I think it went as well as possible. The opener, The Sesters, arrived and set up on time and were done in 30 minutes. We were able to take the stage by the appointed 11:30pm hour. I was oddly nervous the moment that I hit the floor and don't think I shook it until half way through the second set. Had a beer before, two during, and one after and 2 or 3 pints of water. Having to pee didn't end up being the problem I thought it would...I think I sweated it out. Plenty of sleep the night before. A very good dinner. The crowd was a little more sparse than past Mickey's shows, but very enthusiastic. I let a girl sing Where Is My Mind for me...cause, well, there was no stopping it.

We had really weird flubs...things that have never gone wrong before. Start of I'm Amazed...Velouria...other small weird things. Sound was good. We had 60W floor monitors and I'm not convinced they helped much, but I could hear my vocals ok for most part except on Velouria...and I think something else was wrong on that song with RS so that might be why it was weird.

Quotes from audience "You ARE as cool as Kim Deal" (followed by unneccesary explanation of Dandy Warhols tune) and "You make a decent Kim Deal substitute" and "You sound exactly like Kim Deal" (bullshit, drunky...I just don't). Someone else said "I like what you are doing with the bass parts" which I assume means...again...I sound reasonably like what I'm supposed to sound like...cause I certainly didn't write those bass lines.

I feel good about the whole thing. It's good to have a good show because that last High Noon CJ gig made me want to quit this. But I think that was just a bad night...partly my fault, partly not my fault...and overall we are still really kicking ass pretty well. The next gig is a single set at Filth (that's the theme) at Inferno, my first show there ever. Can't wait.

In the meantime...I'm hitting the road on Thursday to catch the real Pixies in Detroit on Friday, Milwaukee on Saturday, and St Paul on Sunday. Same show. Three days, three cities, three days. That's the dream.

Set One
TROMPE LE MONDE
THE HOLIDAY SONG
BROKEN FACE
MR. GRIEVES
CRACKITY JONES
ISLA DE ENCANTA
HEAD ON
CACTUS
NO. 13 BABY
IS SHE WEIRD
I BLEED
INTO THE WHITE
I'M AMAZED
BRICK IS RED
ED IS DEAD
LA LA LOVE YOU
DOWN TO THE WELL
RIVER EUPHRATES
PALACE OF THE BRINE
LETTER TO MEMPHIS
DEAD
MONKEY GONE TO HEAVEN
VAMOS

Set Two
DEBASER
BONE MACHINE
BREAK MY BODY
PLANET OF SOUND
ALEC EIFFEL
VELOURIA
CARIBOU
MANTA RAY
SUBBACULTCHA
DIG FOR FIRE
ALLISON
SOMETHING AGAINST YOU
THERE GOES MY GUN
HEY
GIGANTIC
THE SAD PUNK
LEVITATE ME
HERE COMES YOUR MAN
NIMROD'S SON
WAVE OF MUTILATION
GOUGE AWAY

Encore
TAME
WHERE IS MY MIND?

No comments:

Post a Comment