Tuesday, April 5, 2011

TD, High Noon, 4/4/2011

TD played a show with Barristacid and The Choons on a last minute offer. Attendance was low...a Monday night and nearly no notice to the bands and it was listed TBA in nearly every advertising venue.

It was a good show. I thought all three bands played really well.

I had 2 PBRs before the show (spaced at a one an hour rate) and one during and a glass of water. Ate fast food for an early dinner on drive back from Indiana. Hadn't played drums for a couple of days and had only rehearsed once in the last several weeks with the band. I thought I played well though.

It was nice to have a monitor and be able to hear the band...and the bass drum. I think playing Easy Life right after another heavy tom song is a bad idea...I need a rest between tom songs because I always feel I have to hit the toms so hard that I get tired. I played the whole show with the Travis Barker sticks, which I've been working up to. They really play nice for double strokes, the weight makes it bounce more easily with less effort. And the length is nice for some things, though I do sometimes get caught up on the bottom of a cymbal cause I'm not used to the length. I think that the sticks make me tired in practice, but at the show I was too jacked up and didn't notice. I did get tired, though. I really kinda went all out on energy and was a little spent about 3/4 of the way through the set. On the next to last song, One is For Man, my splash cymbal leapt off of the stand and into my lap. At first I thought the stand had broken, sheared off. But after the show I saw that the plastic part under the cymbal came unscrewed. A new thing to watch for. It threw me off but no one else seemed to notice. I already have trouble with that song, so it made it hard. Moving On still feels rough in the cock rock section, but it went ok. Brought the chimes. People dig them.

Overall, a well-played show, though. I'm happy with it. And that ain't nothing.

Setlist to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment