Friday, May 25, 2012

Pro Gear

I've always been of a mind that cheap musical instruments are okay so long as they are set up correctly. To that end, I am the happy owner of two totally shitty electric basses (a Yamaha and a Lotus) and have great action and decent sound. I also own two Pulse drum kits...with good quality heads and some hardware updates.

But there comes a time to upgrade. I had decided that I ought to look into buying a "real" set of drums...and that I would make that purchase in spring 2013 with my tax refund. Which gave me plenty of time to research.

But research has a way of leading you places.

Brand
Somewhat randomly I've narrowed my interest to Sonor drums. I borrowed a Sonor kit from a friend for about a year and really liked it. And I've heard good things about the brand. That's about the extent of my reasoning.

Wood
Similiarly, I've decided that I'd like an all maple kit. I'm willing to settle for birch...but basswood and poplar are out for me.

Sizes
I am not a fan of 8" and 10" rack toms...what's the point really? I do like the portability and punch of a 20" bass drum though. So my ideal configuration is 20/12/13/16...but no one makes that set up off the shelf...so I guess I'm stuck looking for a 22/12/13/16. Best case scenario the rack toms would be short in depth to allow for more adjustments. On that topic I've learned the following:
  • A pair of standard depth rack toms are 12x8 and 13x9. This "classic" configuration was popular from the 1950s, and has made a comeback.
  • Power toms are one inch deeper than standard, so a standard pair is 12x9 and 13x10. This depth overtook the classic setup in polularity during the 1980s, and remains popular despite the comeback of the classic depth.
  • Cannon depth toms are an inch deeper than power toms, so 12x10 and 13x11. Once seen as a logical extension of the power tom setup, this depth never gained popularity.
So I guess when I say shorter is better...I'd ideally want 12x8 and 13x9...but in a pinch would settle for 12x9 and 13x10.

It is worth saying that I already own a maple snare drum that I'm pretty happy with...so I don't feel the need to buy a kit that includes a snare. I also plan to one day buy a brass snare (like a Black Beauty of knock off of same)...so I feel like the snare isn't a deal breaker on a shell pack purchase. If I can exclude the snare to save money I'm all for that.

Price
I'm a cheap skate. I just am. But upgrading has an implied cost.  So I guess I'm looking to drop between $500 and $1,200 but would lean towards the lower end. This puts me in the used market. Drums in this price range aren't going to be top of the line (even used) but I can get a decent "pro-quality" or pro-ENOUGH quality kit for sure. Many, many steps above what I am playing currently for sure. Respectable. Perhaps even a kit to last me a lifetime or at least until I make more money (if that ever happens).

Finish
Finish isn't a deal breaker, but I'm partial to a natural or clear finish. So the drums look like wood.

Models
So settling all the issues above actually gives one a pretty good guideline on how to proceed.

Leaning towards modern era drums, I'd be looking for
  • Force 3005 or Force 3007 or Select Force (these are all maple models)
  • Force 2005 or Force 2007 or Force 3000 or Essential Force (these are all birch models)
  • Stage 1 configuration (22/12/13/16) or similiar. The depth varies a bit by year.  The rack toms in this configuration seem to be 12x10 and 13x11 a few years ago and more like 12x9 and 13x10 now.

So...what should I find today on craigslist but a Force 3005 maple in natural clear finish in 22/12/13/16 with no snare for $500 and within driving distance. The rack toms are the deeper ones...but still. I sent the guy an email. I hate to be an impulse buyer and throw out the playbook about waiting until next spring...but DAMN.

Here's the very kit in question in all of its beautiful and tempting glory.

UPDATE 5/29/2012: I emailed the guy about coming to look at these last weekend and he didn't respond so I figured that it was all for the best. But then I saw that he'd reposted the set with a reduced price...so I tried again. He never got my first email. So if these haven't sold I'm gonna go grab them next Saturday on my way to SB unless there's something obviously wrong with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment