Friday, July 27, 2012

Bass Lessons: Week Two

I had intended to come prepared to my second lesson. But I didn't.

We talked about increasing speed in light of impending ska. She showed me how I should keep all four fingers down on the fingerboard with light pressure. So in other words...if you are fingering with your pinkie...the rest should be down too...not up in the air. I didn't even realize I did this...but I totally do. We also talked about thumb position...but it doesn't seem that crucial so's long as you have it in the center of the neck and not with your palm collapsed on the side.

I always finger 1, 2, 3, 4 on frets 1, 2, 3, 4...but she's shown me a few times now that sometimes you really want to finger the 4th finger on the 3rd fret...to avoid fatigue and increase speed. I had seen this in some other instructional videos too. Up higher on the neck you can go 1 finger for 1 fret...but lower it makes sense to collapse. At least sometimes.

Reminded...need to run scales with a metronome. Just alot. All the time. Even chromatic scales. Whatever. Just put your fucking fingers on the fucking fingerboard already you dumbass. Also...do mindless right hand exercises all the time to increase speed and consistency. And we talked about how it is harder or easier to "pluck" strings depending on where you place your right hand...and that affects speed too.

And then she pulled out Guitar Pro and Transcribe (similar program is Transposer) two software packages that I totally want now. She talked about learning parts that I admire (which I kind of already knew was a good idea, but I've perhaps not fully pursued). She printed Rhiannon and Come Together for me...and mentioned Daytripper. I guess I've been thinking using tab is cheating...but it didn't seem to bother her. She showed me how she looks songs up on Guitar Pro...and if they aren't on there will use Transcribe to figure the part out herself. Or she'll watch YouTube to see what is happening. Conclusion...all is fair in love and war. Why do I create these bizarre rules for myself about what is legitimate and what is cheating?

We'll have to take a break until September 6th due to conflicts. "No big deal cause I'm not really working on anything in particular" said me of the break. With a furrowed brow "But if nothing is pushing you to work on it you just won't" says she. Yup. True dat.

More time with the bass. That's it.

Rhiannon, by the way, is remarkably easy and repetative. A little exhausting, but not that hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment