Tuesday, July 17, 2012

More Ska

I was asked to take a look at Street Light Manifesto. I like them.



I dug out my Mighty, Mighty Bosstones



and my Sprawl too.



So...yeah...it seems pretty clear that the basslines move a bunch...but it is all simple scales or triads. I'll have to build some speed, but I was planning to work on that anyway. I probably can get away with root notes played with complimentary rhythms until I get the speed up on the scales. One thing that works in my favor...the parts are very repetative. Like you get this little bass scale lick that's kinda fast...but it repeats over and over and over again in the song. So get it once and you've got it.

I think that, if this works out and who knows if it will, this could be a really great experience for me. It lands in my lap right at the time when I'm thinking about scales and building speed and learning about relative intervals and writing bass lines. It'll end up seeming easy in a few years...but right now it is the perfect thing at the perfect time.

No comments:

Post a Comment