Monday, January 28, 2013

Lessons

I'm debating quitting bass lessons. I feel like I'm not putting forth any kind of effort with regard to lessons and the structure provided by the teacher is probably too loose. Not that I want a more restrictive structure. I think it has been helpful to take the lessons as a kind of...check in and see how I'm doing. The answer is "I'm doing fine". I could be doing better...but that would require PRACTICE and STUDY. It has occurred to me recently that my problem may very well be not that I don't work hard enough...but that I indeed work TOO hard. I've got some tips to head out into the world with now and I can check back and reapply myself with those as needed...but I think I'm done. My only questioning about quitting is if it is an impulsive thing to do. I don't think it is. I can always pick up again. I think this has just run its course for now. The money and time could probably be reapplied elsewhere better.

UPDATE: I did quit. This week will be my last lesson. It is a relief already. She gave me only a mild lecture about needing an instructor to help hold one's feet to the fire...a lengthy email that actually ended up seeming more like her evaluating her own situation as a student than her evaluating mine. I think I've been holding my own feet too close to the fire lately though. It is maybe time to cool them for awhile. There will always be time to press onward with determination. For now I think I need to rest a bit in loving-kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment